Solid Waste and Recycling
The Town of Blackfalds will be picking up household and yard waste that is not usually put in the garbage from October 9 - 12. All items must be out October 9.
- Please place all items for disposal on the edge of your property in your back lane.
Items inside your property can not be picked up.
- Please sort items into piles of wood, metal, and dry rubble waste.
- Grass, sod, and compost must be bagged or put in a manageable container.
- Clean up is intended for household and yard waste.
- Construction waste, car parts, and hazardous waste will NOT be picked up.
Please register your household and yard waste on or before October 5 by calling 403-885-4677.
Any items not registered will be the responsibility of the property owner.
The Town operates a solid waste transfer station for Blackfalds’ residents to dispose of their residential waste. The station is open Wednesday through Sunday from 10:30 am – 6:30 pm, excluding statutory holidays. See Transfer Station document for details on materials that are accepted and those that are not accepted. See map to Transfer Station.
* All commercial & industrial waste must be taken to the City of Red Deer Waste Management Facility at 1709 - 40 Ave.
Solid Waste & Recycling Collection
Blackfalds provides this collection every Tuesday through Friday of each week, including statutory holidays, with the exception of Christmas Day and New Year’s Day. The collection service has been contracted to a private business, Can Pak Environmental, who may be contacted directly at 403.341.9300.
Carts must be placed out by 7 am on collection day and be brought back inside the property line following collection. All materials must be placed inside of the carts; additional boxes, bags or other items outside of the carts will not be collected. Please see the Cart Usage brochure and the Cart Collection Schedule map for full details on how to use your carts and to collection day for your residence.
Accepted Recycling Materials include clean:
- Glass - jars and bottles
- Metals - tins and cans
- Newspaper - newspaper and flyer inserts
- Magazines - glossy and paper magazines
- Mixed Paper - office paper, junk mail, envelopes, telephone books
- Cardboard - corrugated cardboard boxes
- Boxboard - cereal boxes, potato chip boxes, shoe boxes, detergent boxes, etc.
- Plastics - all plastics; codes "1 to 7", excluding "6" (beverage containers, milk jugs and pop bottles, detergent and fabric softener bottles, household cleaner bottles, margarine and yogurt containers, cables, bread and plastic bags, water bottles, etc.)
Please no diapers, styrofoam, DVD's and partially empty containers.
Between the months of May and October weekly collection of yard waste also takes place on your designated collection day. Please see the Yard Waste handout for details on this service.
Waste Management Plan
Solid Waste Management Bylaw 1167/13
City of Red Deer Landfill
Cosmos Bottle Depot
Recycling Council of Alberta
Be a Playground Helper - Learn About Recycling