Town of Blackfalds takes on big projects with only a 1.1% tax increase
For the ninth year in a row, Blackfalds has displayed above Provincial average growth with an annual population increase of 4.27% in 2017, surpassing Alberta’s average of 1.51%. This significant growth presents a challenge for the new Council who were tasked with prioritizing expenditures at last weekend’s budget deliberations. As a result, the Town is looking to increase taxes by only 1.1% and is excited to move forward on several large-scale capital projects which include (but are not limited to):
- Twinning the Multi-Plex Arena architectural design and construction plans ($750K)
- Phase 2 of solar integration at the Civic and Culture Centre ($160K)
- New outdoor rink at Pine Crecent ($450K)
- New playground at Valley Crescent ($125K)
- Moving old skateboard park to the East side of town ($40K)
Blackfalds Council and administration invite the public and media to our Budget Open House on November 29 from 5 - 6:45 p.m. at the Civic Cultural Centre (5018 Waghorn St.) prior to the annual Light Up Blackfalds event at 7:00 p.m. - presented by Stantec. Stop in for some coffee and hot chocolate supplied by Tim Hortons where Councillors and staff will be on hand to answer any questions and solicit suggestions. Following the Budget Open House, this budget will be finalized before December 31.
Thank you for your input and we look forward to seeing you there!