Voter Info & Identification Requirements
One of the cornerstones of a strong democracy is the meaningful public discussion of issues and ideas based on up-to-date and accurate information.
In order to vote on October 16, you must produce identification for inspection. The identification must be one or more of the following (as required by section 53 of the Local Authorities Election Act or local bylaw):
- One piece of photo identification issued by a Canadian government which includes the elector's name and current address
- Operator/Driver's License; Government Photo Identification Card (for non-driver's); or
One piece of identification authorized by the Chief Electoral Officer under the Election Act that establishes the elector's name and current address.
- Attestation of Identity and Residence issued by the authorized representative of a correctional institution;
- Attestation of Identity and Residence issued by the authorized representative of a shelter or soup kitchen;
- Attestation of Residence issued by the authorized representative (landlord) of a commercial property management company;
- Attestation of Residence issued by the responsible authority of a Supportive Living Facility;
- Bank/Credit Card statement or personal cheque;
- Correspondence issued by a school, college or university;
- Government cheque or cheque stub;
- Income/property tax assessment notice;
- Insurance policy or coverage card;
- Letter from a public curator, public guardian or public trustee;
- One of the following, issued by the responsible authority of a shelter or soup kitchen: Attestation of residence, letter of stay, admission form or statement of benefits;
- Pension Plan statement of benefits, contributions or participation;
- Residential lease or mortgage statement;
- Statement of government benefits, e.g. employment insurance, old-age security, social assistance, disability support or child tax benefit;
- Utility bill, e.g. telephone, public utilities commission, television, hydro, gas or water; and
- Vehicle ownership or insurance certificate.